Thursday, March 18, 2010

Weeknight Dinner - Chicken Tamale Casserole

I don't have the luxury of time to whip up a great meal after work, especially during marathon training, so I'm always on the lookout for quick and healthy recipes. My go to resource for quick and healthy recipes is Cooking Light. They usually have healthy versions of classic favorites.

Crock pot roasted chicken is pretty much a weekly staple at our household. Season the chicken and place it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours as you leave for work. When you get back your chicken is ready for dinner. Pair it with a salad, veggie, and starch and you have a well balanced meal.

The only thing about cooking a whole chicken for two people is there is a lot of chicken left over. We even take the chicken for lunch the next day and still have plenty of leftovers. I have made plenty of different kinds of soup with the leftover chicken but this week I wanted to try something new. So I turned to my trusty stand by www.cookinglight.com.







This was pretty good. I followed the recipe exactly. I wouldn't really recommend any changes except maybe add a little more enchilada sauce. We ate this with a side salad and a quarter of an avocado.  It was very filling and definitely hit the spot after our swim workout.

We had to take a day off from running today. We were scheduled to run 5 but our legs are dead tired from lifting legs with our trainer on Tuesday and running a combined 14 miles on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Swimming is such a good workout but I definitely am an inefficient swimmer. I expend way too much energy turning my head to take a breath which makes me out of breath easily. After the swim we sat in the hot tub for a little bit to soak our muscles. Hopefully our legs will be ready to rock for our next long run, 14 miles - gotta love a cut back week. weeknight

No comments:

Post a Comment